Clinton Devon Estates has thanked residents in Seaton for their swift actions in extinguishing a small fire which broke out in local woodland this morning, which it’s believed was started by a discarded cigarette.
With the ground exceptionally dry as a result of the recent hot weather, The Estate has warned the fire could have quickly spread, causing damage to the surrounding countryside.
As thousands of people are expected to head to the area over the Bank Holiday weekend, the incident has prompted a safety reminder, urging people to be vigilant. It comes after a major fire broke out in Wareham Forest in Dorset on Monday, damaging more than 190 hectares of heath and woodland. Investigators believe it may have been started by a discarded disposable barbeque or camp fire.
John Wilding, Head of Forestry and Energy for Clinton Devon Estates, said: “The fire in Wareham is a stark reminder of how quickly a small fire can get out of control and cause devastating damage to the countryside. In this case, new bracken growth and the swift actions of local dog walkers has prevented a serious incident from happening here. We would like to thank them for their vigilance.”
John continued: “We can all play our part in protecting the countryside while still enjoying the time we spend there. Simple steps such as ensuring cigarettes are fully extinguished, not bringing disposable barbeques and taking our rubbish home with us, can make all the difference.”