River Otter Restoration Project
The River Otter Project is in the earliest phase of development and still just a concept. Many feasibility studies and much consultation need to be undertaken to understand if the project is socially, economically and environmentally worthwhile. In particular the benefits and disbenefits resulting from the project to all stakeholders need to be clarified and suitable partnerships and governance developed. Its anticipated key aims are:
- Managed realignment and naturalising of an iconic river through reconnection to its floodplain
- Meeting UK Biodiversity 2020 Strategy targets through coastal habitat creation
- Meeting EU Water Framework Directive targets through improved health of an estuary
- Protection of local businesses, residential properties and public access from flooding
- Allowing natural resilience in the Otter valley to the impacts of climate change
For more information and downloadable content please visit the Lower Otter Restoration Project website.